IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO MAKE ME HAPPY. A flickering candle, smoldering incense. Delicious food. Good wine. Honorable, passionate people. Dazzling sunsets. Enchanting moonbeams. A sensuous life. Perfect espresso to make the perfect cappuccino. For readers to love my books.

Okay, maybe I need to rephrase that opening thought. New opening thought: I AIM HIGH.


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thoughtful Thursdays ~ January 28


Photobucket


Meet me here each week for Thoughtful Thursday. I'll be sharing what I know and what I can, answering reader questions on holistic health, spirituality, the Paranormal, metaphysics, writing, my work, your world, personal or spiritual advice... I'll answer two questions each week. I'm feeling the love already. :)

SUBMIT QUESTIONS in an Email via my website, in a private Facebook message or DM me on Twitter.


Thoughtful Thursday questions for January 28


Q 1: Jo Lynne: Any remedies for losing your voice? My throat doesn't really hurt, I just can't really talk, which means I can't work. And you are the best person I can think of to ask about health. - A.


A: Now I know why I was looking at a particular tea today, even though I don't need it! If you're sure you're not sick but may have simply lost your voice due to a lack of humidity indoors or strained vocal chords, you want to get Throat Coat by Traditional Medicinals. It is a tea. You'll find it in the tea section or most large grocery stores. The active ingredient is licorice and there's also crystallized ginger, which will heal up the vocal chords in no time!



Q 1: I know you are so busy, and I hate to bother you... I wanted to know if you would tell me what herb would help with thinning hair? You have really opened my eyes to many things and the more I read, the more I want to know. Have a wonderful day. - L.


A: First and foremost, you're not bothering me! Answering your questions is a pleasure and an honor. I hope you can tell I really mean that. :) As for your question, you're describing Alopecia. This condition*can* be reversible and seldom leads to baldness. Factors that contribute to the development of Alopecia are heredity, aging and hormones.


Other factors include surgery, acute illness, poor circulation, poor diet, fungal infections, vitamin deficiencies and chemicals such as hair dyes or chemotherapy. I once knew someone who was so stressed that she developed Alopecia.


Here are some recommendations you can integrate into your life immediately - in the hopes of good results. Of course, speak to a physician or other health care provider to find out what other options you have. What I'm offering below is my personal advice.


Vitamins and Supplements

Essential Fatty Acids (flaxseed oil, primrose oil, salmon oil or Kyolic-EPA) - Improves hair texture, prevents dry, brittle hair.

Ultra Hair product from Nature's Plus - Stimulates hair growth.

Vitamin B complex - For the health and growth of hair.

Vitamin C - Aids in improving scalp circulation.

Zinc - Stimulates hair growth by enhancing immune function.



Herbs

Ginkgo biloba - Improves circulation to the scalp.

Horsetail - A source of silica, which is necessary for strong hair.

Tea Tree essential oil - massage 10 drops into the scalp, then wash hair. This destroys bacteria that may cause hair loss.


Source: Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Phyllis A. Balch and James F. Balch

________________________________




Thoughtful Thursday Bonus



HEARTH AND HOME BLESSING POTPOURRI


YOU'LL NEED:

The peel from one orange, torn into small pieces - harmony, joy, blessings

5 bay leaves - protection, good luck

5 cinnamon sticks - prosperity, protection, abundance, good health

4 sprigs of fresh pine - protection against all manner of negativity, cleansing, purifying

1 TB of black pepper - protection against negativity, good health, lively energy



Fill a medium sized sauce pan with clean, cold water and bring the water to a boil. When the water boils, reduce the heat to the lowest setting so as to allow the water to simmer.


Begin adding your ingredients in the order I give them, above. As you add each ingredient, focus on the medicinal or magical properties they lend to the potpourri.


Think too, that you're using 5 bay leaves and 5 cinnamon sticks to recognize and honor the 5 elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit. You're using 4 sprigs of pine to recognize and honor the 4 directions: north, east, south and west.


This potpourri smells delicious as it simmers. If you like, you may do as I do: add a few dashes of fresh ground cinnamon and maybe a few drops of pine essential oil. This will increase the aromatics. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Replenish the water with fresh as it boils down. Simmer for as many as three days, then discard outside. It is wise to return items of the earth such as these, back to the earth from whence they came. Pour out the used potpourri beneath a tree or onto the open earth, with gratitude and thanks.



Before you go... grab this sticker and please pass on the word

about Thoughtful Thursdays.


Photobucket



Moonbeams and Luv ~


Photobucket


6 comments:

Ann said...

Well now the first thing I do on Thursdays when I get a free minute at work is check out your post. Really something to look forward to Jo Lynne, thanks for doing this. Planning on trying that potpourri, I actually have all the ingredients.

I don't have a blog to put your sticker on but I nabbed it and shall paste it into an email to send out to my friends. Hope this works. Thanks for all you do, Annie.

B-ster said...

I have plans for visitors and was looking for a good potpourri while they are here. Do you leave the pot to simmer when you are not home, or overnight? Maybe it is just me being a worrier, but I am not comfortable leaving the stove going when I'm not home or awake.

Jo Lynne Valerie said...

Ann, so glad you look forward to Thoughtful Thursdays. I do, too. :) Hugs from New York!
- Jo Lynne

Jo Lynne Valerie said...

B-ster, I'd say you want to turn that gas off and remove your pan from the burner while you're sleeping or away. It is always better to be safe, than sorry.

If you're having company and want to spruce up the aromatics of this blend, do add at least 10 drops of pure pine essential oil, and at least 10 drops of pure orange essential oil. Sprinkle generously with ground cinnamon (the cooking variety). You'll love the scent, as will your guests.

Thanks for reading, darling! Moonbeams and Luv...
~ Jo Lynne

B-ster said...

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try it this weekend ahead of time just to be sure, and because I am in need of something refreshing in my house as soon as possible.

Authors Promoting Authors said...

Love this recipe for potpourri-I'm going to give it a whirl.

Have been enjoying your Thoughtful Thursdays! :)